Monday, August 26, 2013

My "Happy Little Accident"

I had tons of fun last week.  On Tuesday I went to G'nosh!, it's this art studio where you can paint an easy, fun, and breathtaking painting... in one class.   They have an instructor that takes you step by step from blank canvas to a masterpiece.  The best part is that you can take your drink of choice and a snack.  Now, you don't have to be a great artist to take these classes, they were made so anyone can follow along and paint in their own style.
I was lucky to go with my friend Corinne who appreciates art as much as I do.  I wish I took my camera so I could have taken a picture of us holding our paintings.  Here is a picture of the painting I made.


 The class instructor did a little introduction of herself and what they do in the studio.  I liked how she described the environment and compared it to what Bob Ross said,

“We don't make mistakes, just happy little accidents.”

 Love it! So I titled this post "Happy Little Accident"  because I had one of my own this week.  A long time ago I bought this wooden sign from Savers.  I didn't buy it because of what it said... something about golf being serious and not a game... don't quite remember exactly.  I bought it because I knew it would look great on my wall with a favorite quote.  So I took off the vinyl lettering and painted my wood black.


The edges were already sanded down so I decided to leave it that way and I am glad I did.



I used my Silhouette and some vinyl to cut out this really cool quote I found and placed it on top of the wood. I only used the vinyl as a stencil and painted the letters in white.  My happy mistake happened when I decided to use water to delude the white.  I was trying to go for a white-wash color against the black.



The water seeped under the vinyl and created a bleed effect on my letters.


When I peeled the vinyl off, this is what I saw.  My first thought was, "Oh no!  Now I have to paint over it again."  Then I remembered about happy mistakes.


So instead of doing it over I decided to just clean it up a bit.  Enough to where it still looks distressed but you can read what it says.  Then I wanted to add paint droplets.  I made sure they were around the main words, the ones I had made bold.  I added the droplets by dripping a brush soaked in watered down white paint.  Using a paper towel, I twisted a corner and like a pencil I lightly touched the droplets.  This sucked out most of the paint leaving behind a faint water droplet.  


  This was my finished project and I have to say that I LOVE my happy little accident!


Thanks for reading!



post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow This Blog !!!