Monday, September 9, 2013

Decorative Door Signs


These last two weeks have also been fun.  I have been having a lot of fun lately.  All thanks to my friend Corinne who comes up with great ideas for crafts.  Plus the holiday seasons are near and there is always a lot of crafty things to do around that time.

So we started working on decorating our front doors, perfect place to start.  We went to Hobby Lobby and bought these wooden plaques.



Yes, they were $2.99, not bad unless you are planning on making a lot of signs.  We also bought ribbon and some wire to attach on the back of the plaque.

I decided to work on the "Happy Halloween" sign and I knew that a jack-o-lantern would be a great design.


I didn't want it to have a cute face like most people would expect an inviting door sign to have.  It needed to have a scary one, it just makes it more interesting.  I also wanted it to look like it was glowing from the inside.  First you add the orange-red color to the inside parts of your pumpkin and make sure to let it dry. Then lighten it up with some yellow-orange but make sure you leave  the top area of the eyes with your first color.  Finally bright yellow on the bottom of the eyes.


The letters were the easiest to do.  Why?  Well if you want to go for creepy dripping letters, you don't have to make it look perfect.  The more you swivel your brush around, the better it looks.  The final touch was the border to tie everything together.   We then added two nails in the back and attached a wire so it could hang. Corinne was so nice to add that part for me and made those cute little bows with her ribbon.



My next sign is this super cute watermelon design.  I LOVE watermelon.  I think I am obsessed with it.  I even took the time to paint my nails in a watermelon design.  Sadly I can only enjoy during the summer time.  This is my memento to my favorite food.

Our goal for these signs is to make them all simple but attractive.  I wish I could post the signs Corinne made but I forgot to take pictures of the ones she came up with. Maybe I can do a post of all our signs at the end of the year!

My next sign will be a fall/thanksgiving design.  I haven't decided yet.  We did start off by painting it a dark taupe.

It's perfect for that rustic look.  I made sure to get into the grooves on the side because I sort of missed a side on my minty watermelon sign.

Beautiful right?  I love this color for fall.  I haven't decided what design I want to do yet but looking forward to painting this one.

Thanks for reading!
post signature

2 comments:

  1. Those are awesome! I love your summer one. I didn't take photos of mine, either....I should do that. I love how you blog your crafts and art! Thanks for doing these with me, I've had so much fun with it too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks to you I was able to make these! Can't wait to make more.

      Delete

Follow This Blog !!!