Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Fall Door Sign


It feels so good to be back.  I missed my blog and putting my stuff on here so to be able to post today makes me really happy.  After my son ended up in the hospital, It was really hard to sit down and do art.  Not just because I needed to make sure he was doing okay at all times but I felt overwhelmed with doctor appointments and a lot of other stuff going on.  Now that life is back to normal I definitely needed to get back to art.  It's what keeps me sane!  Don't worry, I am not neglecting my son, he is currently sitting on my lap  while I type this. :)

I posted before the Summer and the Halloween sign.  I loved those so much that I just needed to finish my fall sign.  I was debating for some time if it needed to be a Thanksgiving or autumn theme.   Hey, I enjoy Thanksgiving but one of the reasons I truly love this time of the year it's because of autumn!  That is what I am thankful for.  It is a beautiful season with all the beautiful colors, the cool weather, and yummy food.  It makes me sad that it doesn't last that long.   Plus, it is right in between Halloween and Christmas, which in my opinion are the best holidays of the year.

Like always, I like to show the process.  I started off with a sketch.  I went online and looked at a few leaves and the colors so I could gather what I wanted to do.  I have found that every time I find good references, my paintings are always better.

Once I had a general idea of what I wanted, I sketched it on the painted wooden plaque.  Then I started painting the letters with white acrylic paint.




I like when leaves still have a little bit of green in them and start to transition into the yellows, oranges, and reds.  The first leaf I wanted to have some green in the middle and the rest of the colors toward the outside.


The colors are remarkable!  If you look at real leaves, you will notice patches of colors and transitions from one color to another.  Don't forget the veins, it brings realism to the leaf.  Lastly, erase the pencil marks and add some wire in the back.


Then it is ready to hang on your door.


If you are not careful and leave your sign on the floor, then someone might think its a welcome mat.

Ha ha ha ha!  I love those funky toes.



Thanks for reading!
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow This Blog !!!